For more than five years we have been inspiring people to live more holistically which means we are usually working more with the proactive and preventative aspects of health and wellbeing.
However, we know sometimes life throws people a curveball and sometimes a significant health event in their lives can trigger a big call for change in ones lifestyle.
Which leads us to our latest project – Creating Heart Safe Environments!
Did you know that SUDDEN CARDIAC ARREST (SCA) is the number one cause of death in Australia?
Sudden Cardiac Arrest is highly likely to cause death if not treated immediately.
Treatment in the first 3 minutes is critical.
Sudden Cardiac Arrest knows no boundaries… 525 people (incl. 2-3 children) per week in Australia lose their life through SCA.
The facts are:
- In Australia approximately 30,000 people experience SCA outside of a hospital and are treated by emergency medical services (EMS) each year.
- On average, only 9% of its victims in Australia survive.
- It can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone, even young athletes.
- Early defibrillation is the single most effective treatment for SCA.
- Defibrillation within three minutes of collapse can increase the chance of survival to over 70%.
- The chance of survival is reduced by up to 10% for every minute there is not a defibrillation device available.
- AED’s need to be within a 90 Second brisk walk to retrieve the device and return to the person experiencing SCA.
ANZCOR (the peak body for resuscitation)
Did you know ANZCOR changed its guidelines in 2016?
The ANZCOR Guidelines now recommend:
Escalating energy to 360J
“If the first shock is not successful and the defibrillator is capable of
delivering shocks of higher energy, it is reasonable to increase the
energy to the maximum available for subsequent shocks.”
*Most other AED’s only shock up to 200j
ANZCOR recommendation: Default initial energy of 200J
It’s not to say that other AED’s won’t save lives, however, the technology has evolved and the guidelines are written to give someone experiencing SCA the best chance of survival.
Founded in 1991, Mindray is China’s largest and fastest growing medical equipment manufacturer, a multi-billion dollar company with a sound history in AED Manufacturing and leading edge R&D.
Mindray’s BeneHeart D1 Public Semi Automatic Defibrillator is one of the lowest cost, most reliable life saving devices on the market.
The advantages of the Beneheart D1 Public include:
- Latest technology
- Easiest to use
- Easiest to maintain
- Fastest to first shock
- Endorsed by Surf Life Saving Australia
- Approved by NSW Health (Mindray is 1 of only 3 AED manufacturers chosen on the panel as an approved supplier to NSW Health in their recent 5-year tender process)
Other relevant features to note are:
- IP55 Water and Dust rating
- Paediatric mode making it simple to switch use with children (without having to change pads)
- 7″TFT Video Guidance Screen
- Daily Self Testing
- 4 year battery life/300 shocks
- 5 Year Warranty
Already have an AED?
Follow this Heart Safe Environments checklist:
- How old are the AED’s existing within the organisation?
- Are your AED’s being maintained?
- Do they self check for operational faults?
- What is the cardiac plan/policy in event of someone experiencing SCA? Are all appropriate staff/volunteers etc aware of the policy?
- Are your AED’s publicly accessible, easily located, well signed?
- Are your AED’s placed within 90 seconds retrieval and return to all areas of the building/space?
- Place your AED’s on this app so the public can find them in case of SCA:https://www.pulsepoint.org/pulsepoint-aed/
Not only do we distribute the best AED’s on the market, we can also assist you with
- An AED audit of the above checklist.
- AED Policy and procedure templates and guidance
- Internal communications templates
- AED device training (device only, not CPR or First Aid)
Contact us today: