One of the things we are told is we can always choose our attitude, which is 100% true, but sometimes that can feel too hard or overwhelming.
Different things (events or people) can push our buttons and put us into a ‘funk’ or ‘slump’. And when you are there, the way out doesn’t seem as easy or simple as “choose your attitude”. It can even seem easier (although it in fact takes more energy) to remain in a funk.
A few years ago, very early on in my personal development journey, I did a course called ‘Road to Freedom’ with Connie Diano. One of the very early things we were asked to do – possibly in our first or second session – was to make a list of things that we can easily do which will help us to ‘feel happier now’ – and to act on them during the coming weeks.
I can’t remember exactly what was on my list back then but it most likely included:
- Go for a walk outside (you already know why this is good for you)
- Meditate (meditation has so many benefits)
- Listen to a fun upbeat song (music stimulates and uses the entire brain)
- Read a few pages of a favourite book
- Ring someone I love who will make me smile
- Look at some great holiday photos
- Give someone a big squeeze (hugs can instantly boost oxytocin levels, which heal feelings of loneliness, isolation, and anger)
- Watch a fun You Tube clip (laughter is amazingly powerful)
This week I was reminded again about the small choices we can make in a moment to change our state to be more resourceful and positive and to enjoy life more fully. The reminder was thanks to Entrepreneur.com and the blog How to transform your life in 6 minutes a day which was published last year.
Making a choice to choose you attitude may seem challenging at the time, but making a decision to act and take a small step doing something which you enjoy is easy. Imagine the difference in your physiology and mood when you change the sound tracks of your life – start by swapping the sad song for something that gets you up and jumping around (literally!)!
When would now be a good time for you to choose your attitude?
I encourage you to start a list today, start with 5 to 10 things which lift your mood and nurture your soul. They don’t have to be big things, in fact little things are great. I promise, once you start Being Happier Now you will want more of it and adding to your list will be easier.
Love and Light,
p.s. always be conscious of what is going into “Your Funnel of Greatness”